Rubber Patio Pavers
Rubber Patio Pavers
Traditional patio pavers are made from concrete and natural stones. However, rubber patio pavers are on the rise these days. These are made from recycled tires that are manufactured to look like stone pavers. These are formed to be flexible and soft, which make them very comfortable on the feet. They come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes to carry out whatever design you have in mind.
Advantages of Rubber Patio Pavers
They are great alternatives to traditional stone pavers due to various reasons. Some of the notable advantages of patio pavers made from rubber are the following:
- Environment-friendly: Rubber pavers are made from recycled tires. If you purchase these pavers, you save the environment as well.
- Slip resistant: They are smooth and flexible, which make them slip-resistant even when wet.
- Child-friendly: You can let your children play on the patio knowing that there are no sharp edges to hurt them. The same is true for your adorable pets.
- Soft and cool: The softness of the rubber patio pavers as compared to stone pavers make them safer. This is true because even if plates and glasses fall onto the floor, they won't break into dangerous pieces. Plus, rubber stays cool even under the heat of the sun.
- Long-lasting: They also do not chip, break, or crack even with no maintenance. They can even withstand extreme weather conditions. Hence, you can expect them to serve you for a long time.
For homeowners, it is also good news that rubber patio pavers are the easiest to install of all pavers. Do-it-yourselfers can successfully accomplish the installation even without the help of professionals.
Considerations in Choosing Rubber Pavers for Patios
Though rubber pavers for patios are gaining a lot of popularity, it is fair for you to know that there are some drawbacks to them. One is the price. They may be cheaper than natural stones but they are more expensive than concrete, which is the most popular choice among patio pavers.
Another thing about rubber patio pavers is that they are not as aesthetically appealing as natural stones used for patios. So for homeowners who want to get a certain aesthetic look in the patio, rubber pavers usually do not go as the best choice. But if safety is important, using these ones is still the best choice.
Installing Rubber Patio Pavers
Rubber patio pavers are undoubtedly very easy to install. You may require digging out the perimeter of the patio up to four or six inches deep. For areas with dry climates, you must add two inches of gravel while for those with wet climates, four inches of gravel is necessary. The gravel works as a drainage system under them.
Once the site is ready, you simply have to link them together just like a giant puzzle. You must begin at the edge of the patio for a smoother installation. If you need to cut rubber pavers, you can do so with a utility knife.
Furthermore, you may cover an existing stone concrete patio with rubber pavers. However, this is only feasible if the existing patio is still in good condition. To prepare for installation, sweep away all dust, debris, and dirt on the surface. Then, lay the rubber patio pavers down the surface and glue them as you go. There is a specialty adhesive that work for them perfectly. Once done, let the adhesive dry prior to using the new rubber paver patio.
You really will never go wrong with rubber patio pavers. The benefits they can offer are undoubtedly priceless. Plus, maintenance is cheap and easy. They can be washed with plain water for dirt and dust removal. Some difficult stains can be removed by a mild dish detergent and a scrub brush.