How to Install Stepping Stones
Do It Yourself Stepping Stones
Although stepping-stones are widely available for purchase, another alternative is to hand-made them yourself,. If you are creative and like to be unique, try the variety of do-it-yourself kits available.
What you will need for Stepping Stone Installation
- You will need to purchase some stepping stone concrete which is available through most hardware stores.
- Plastic molds are needed, which can also be bought in craft or hardware stores; otherwise you can use various objects from around the house.
- You will also need some decorative items of your choice, such as, shells, beads, marbles and bottle caps etc.
- First, you will need a pair of rubber gloves and some protective sheets of paper.
- Then choose the type of mold you are going to use, making sure it is water resistant.
- The cement should now be prepared according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Now pour cement into molds at least two inches thick.
- While cement is still wet, place your decorative items into the soft cement.
- Then lastly, let your stepping-stone molds dry for about 24 hours.
- The following day, your casts will have dried into - rock hard – stones that are ready for installation as stepping stone patterns.
Colorful Stepping Stones
Stepping Stones are available in beautiful hand-painted color varieties, which will add to the theme and appeal of your landscaping designs.
There are Stepping Stones made from poly resin, they will not crack or fade, are very lightweight, long lasting and can simulate the look of mosaic stones. These are a low-cost option, when wanting to achieve the look of natural rare stones.
Solar-Lighted Stepping Stones
Solar Lighted Stepping Stones will light the way around your gardens, providing a ‘safe’ walkway at night. They are lighted from within using a single super-bright white LED, which will light for up to 8 hours per charge. The great thing about these Stepping Stones is that there is no digging or wiring needed. The battery is rechargeable and powered by a silicone solar cell. It is made out of poly resin and fiberglass and is very durable.
Recycled Rubber Stepping Stones
These Stepping Stones are made using 100 % -recycled rubbers from used tires. The rubber is compressed and bonded together. They will not crack, chip, fall apart or rot, like other materials would. Rubber Stepping Stones are also salt-resistant and frost-proof. They are a great environmentally friendly alternative material.